File an intent to rent form

If you rent or lease a property in Piedmont, you need to file an intent to rent form. Each year you need to pay an annual rental tax.

Need to know

  • This is a one-time filing – you only need to do this once per property
  • If your tenant registers their children in Piedmont schools, a copy of this approved letter may be required

Before you start

You will need the names of everyone who will be living in the rental, including any children. You’ll also need to note the lease start and end dates. If you have a commercial property, you do not need to list anyone’s names.


1. Fill out the intent to rent form

  • Download the intent to rent form (PDF).
  • Complete the information and sign the form. It’s important to include your email address so we can easily contact you.

2. Submit the form to the City Clerk

Submit your form to the City Clerk’s office by mail or drop it off in-person.

City Clerk
City of Piedmont
120 Vista Avenue
Piedmont, CA 94611

What’s next

We will review your form and let you know if we have any questions. If it’s approved we will send you an approved copy of the form for your records. Your tenant may need a copy of the approved letter if they are registering their children in the Piedmont Unified School District.

By February 15 of the next calendar year, you need to pay your annual rental tax.

Get help