City Council to Consider Recommended Changes to Zoning Code
Mon. Mar. 6th - 7:30PM
City Council Chambers
- Planning Director’s Summary and Navigation Tips
- City Council Staff Report, March 6, 2017 – First Reading of Ordinance to Revise Zoning and Planning Provisions of the City Code
- Presentation from the January 23, 2017 – City Council Study Session
In 2012 the Planning Commission began to have discussions about revisions to Chapter 17 of the City Code, otherwise known as the Zoning Code (Code). These discussions followed and were partially in response to a 2009 comprehensive update of the Piedmont General Plan and the 2011 and 2014 updates to the Plan’s Housing Element, which included several goals and actions that necessitated revisions to the Zoning Code. There are many reasons to make amendments to Chapter 17. Some revisions are mandatory in order to stay in compliance with the General Plan and Housing Element. Other revisions are not mandated but are equally important to improving planning services in the city.
The first two of five planned phases of revisions were completed in 2012 and 2013. To achieve the goal of completing the third and fourth phases of Zoning Code revisions, the Planning Commission held discussions about a variety topics related to potential revisions to the Code during five regularly scheduled meetings and two special meetings in 2016. In addition, in 2014 and 2015 the Planning Commission and City Council separately discussed regulations of short term rentals.
At a subsequent special meeting held on November 10, 2016, the Planning Commission unanimously adopted a resolution recommending that the City Council adopt a revised Chapter 17, Planning and Land Use, adopt an Interim Design Guidelines, and repeal policies incorporated into the Code or Guidelines. The Commission also adopted Planning Commission Rules and Procedures. See the staff report and minutes for more information.
The next step is for the City Council to consider the Planning Commission’s recommendation for adoption. March 6, 2017 is the Council meeting tentatively identified as the meeting at which Council will be asked to consider the Commission’s recommendation to approve an ordinance to revise the code, and a resolution to adopt the Interim Design Guidelines. The Council has also held two study sessions on January 11 and 23, 2017 in advance of the March 6th meeting. The purpose of the study sessions was for the Council and public to receive information and ask questions regarding the recommended revisions outlined in the staff report prepared for the March 6th meeting. At the top of this page is a link to the presentation provided by the Planning Director for the January 23, 2017 City Council Study Session.
- Study Session: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 – 7:30 p.m., EOC, 403 Highland Avenue
- Study Session: Monday, January 23, 2017 – 6:30 p.m., City Hall, 120 Vista Avenue
- Regular Meeting: Monday, March 6, 2017 – 7:30 p.m., City Hall, 120 Vista Avenue
Members of the public are encouraged to participate throughout this process by submitting comments and attending the meetings. Written comments may be submitted to the Council via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via US Mail addressed to City Clerk John Tulloch at 120 Vista Avenue, Piedmont, CA 94611. In addition, staff maintains a list of community members who wish to receive notices and copies of reports directly via email. Anyone who wishes to be added to the list may contact the planning office by contacting Planning Director Kevin Jackson at email@example.com or (510) 420-3039.
Listed below are links to various documents related to this project:
- Chapter 17, Piedmont Municipal Code
- Zoning Map for the City of Piedmont
- City of Piedmont General Plan
Staff Reports, in chronological order:
- Planning Commission Staff Report, March 12, 2012 – New Technologies
- Planning Commission Staff Report, June 11, 2012 – General Introduction
- Planning Commission Staff Report, July 9, 2012 – Private & Public Roadways
- Planning Commission Staff Report, August 13, 2012 – Keeping Chickens
- Planning Commission Staff Report, August 11, 2014 – Artificial Turf
- Planning Commission Staff Report, September 8, 2014 – Short Term Rentals
- Council Staff Report, March 16, 2015 – Short Term Rentals
- Council Staff Report, September 21, 2015 – Short Term Rentals
- Planning Commission Staff Report, October 12, 2015 – Short Term Rentals
- Planning Commission Staff Report, November 9, 2015 – Short Term Rentals
- Planning Commission Staff Report, March 14, 2016 – Reintroduction of Topics
- Planning Commission Staff Report, April 11, 2016 – Parking, Structures, Setbacks, Zone A
- Planning Commission Staff Report, June 13, 2016 – Continued Discussion
- Planning Commission Staff Report, July 11, 2016 – Regulations and Uses for Zones B, C and E
- Planning Commission Staff Report, July 26, 2016 - Zone D regulations and uses, various other changes
- Planning Commission Staff Report, August 8, 2016 – Landscaping Regulations and Design Review Standards
- Planning Commission Staff Report, August 30, 2016 – Zone D, Signs, WCF, various other changes
- Planning Commission Staff Report, November 10, 2016 – Consideration of a Resolution Recommending Updates to the Planning and Zoning Provisions in the City Code and City Council Policies, as well as Actions to Update Planning Commission Policies
- City Council Staff Report, March 6, 2017 – Introduction and First Reading of Ord. ___ N.S., Adopting Revisions to the City Code including Chapter 17, Planning and Land Use; and Consideration of an Interim Design Guidelines and the Repeal of Policies Incorporated into the City Code and Guidelines