Piedmont Recreation Department Preschool Childcare Programs
Playschool 2011/2012 Frequently Asked Questions
How old must my child be to attend Playschool?
- Children eligible for Playschool must be born on or before December 2, 2008 and are 3 to 5 years old.
Where is Playschool Located?
- Playschool is located at the Recreation Department, 358 Hillside Avenue, in Piedmont. There are two Playschool classrooms: one is located on the first floor while the second meets in the attic of the Recreation Department.
What are the Dates and Times of Playschool?
- Playschool meets on Monday/Wednesday/Friday or Tuesday/Thursday. Each session meets from 9:00am until 1:00pm.
- There is also an optional extended care program in the Playschool classroom, and the first session of will start after the Playschool school year commences (more information will be made available at the beginning of the school year).
What is the duration of the Playschool Program?
- Playschool is a two year program that runs from September to June of the following calendar year. Children currently enrolled in their first year of Playschool, and are age appropriate, are guaranteed their class spot the following school year. Parents, however, must fill out a completed registration form at the time of registration.
- If you would like your child to switch to different class days, you will have to complete a separate registration to be included in the lottery. Your spot in the current class will not be affected. The transfer to another class will only take place if your child is enrolled during the lottery process. Also note, that the second year enrollment is only guaranteed for the same child; it cannot be transferred to siblings, family members, etc.
What is the class ratio?
- In each class there are 8 children to 1 teacher. Within each class, we prefer to balance the number of boys and girls in attendance.
How much does Playschool cost?
- Playschool is paid on a monthly basis throughout the calendar year. Depending on number of classes per month, tuition varies slightly. There is also a marginal difference between resident and non-resident rates. A typical month of Playschool: MWF is $588 for residents and $618 for non-residents and T/Th is $392.00 for residents and $422.00 for non-residents.
When can I register my child for Playschool for the 2011/2012 school year?
- You must submit a completed registration form with your $250 non-refundable deposit (Incomplete or unsigned registration forms will not be processed). Selections for preschool are done in a “lottery” style format.
- Piedmont resident pre-Registration deadline will be March 11, 2011, 5:00pm. Proof of residency is required at the time of registration. Use of grandparents or other Piedmont residences is not permitted.
- Non resident pre-Registration deadline will be held on March 25, 2011, 5:00pm.
- You will be notified by mail or email on the outcome of the lottery, usually within 7-10 days following the lottery cut-off date.
Registration/Enrollment throughout the 2011/2012 School Year:
- A child may be enrolled, from the waitlist, throughout the 2011/2012 school year. Tuition rates for students enrolled during the course of the school year will be determined by the child’s first day of attendance.
Is there a deposit to enroll my child in Playschool?
- There is a one time non-refundable deposit of $250 that is required at the time of pre-Registration. If your child is enrolled into Playschool, your $250 deposit will be deducted from your first session tuition. If your child is placed on the waiting list, your deposit will be refunded.
Should my child be Potty Trained?
- Children who are enrolling into Playschool must be completely potty trained. Pull Ups are not acceptable.
Can I register for more than one program, including Playschool?
- You may register for multiple programs although we will only be able to enroll your child in one of these programs and one class session only (i.e. either Tiddlywinks or Playschool and either MWF or T/Th, not both.) The only program exception is Pre-K, which can be combined with Playschool. If interested in enrolling into both Pre-K and Playschool, please contact Recreation Supervisor, Erin Rivera, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 420-3072.
Erin Rivera, Supervisor (510) 420-3072 | email@example.com