Public Works: Maintenance Division

Division Overview

Corporation Yard Hours :
7:00 am to 3:30 pm
Monday through Friday

Piedmont Corporation Yard
898 Red Rock Road
Piedmont, CA 94611

For more information:
(510) 420-3065

The Public Works Department, Maintenance Division, maintains the City's sewers, storm drains, streets, and parks. This includes the design and construction of public facilities, parks, and medians; engineering, architectural and landscape design services; and traffic engineering.

Streets & Sidewalks

Maintaining the city's streets and sidewalks includes more than the annual repair and paving projects. Street signs, road markings, and traffic signals are all part of providing safe accessible streets. Because of the extensive use of trees on Piedmont's streets, one of the department's most important duties is routine street sweeping. Although streets are swept year round, from early fall through February the department publishes a weekly Street Sweeping Schedule to allow neighbors to plan for leaf removal.

Sanitary Sewer System

The Public Works Department provides both routine maintenance and emergency response services for the cityís sanitary sewer system. This on-going work protects both the publicís health and the San Francisco Bay regionís water quality by collecting and conveying wastewater to the East Bay Municipal Utility District(EBMUD) main wastewater treatment plant.

After many months of negotiations, an agreement has been reached with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the State of California in the form of a Consent Decree that requires the city to continue updating its sewer infrastructure to help protect the San Francisco Bay. Pursuant to the provisions of the Consent Decree the city must update the Asset Management Implementation Plan (AMIP) to reflect the latest approved requirements. Similarly, the San Francisco Regional Water Board requires an update of our Sewer System Management Plan (SSMP). Both plans were approved by City Council on August 4, 2014.

Prior to this Consent Decree, through a series of projects since 1995, the City has rehabilitated about 67% of the sanitary sewer system. It is our goal to continue with a program to complete the remainder of the system in the next 20 years to be in compliance with the provisions of the Consent Decree.

Report a Backup!

Suspected or visible sewage backups in the public sanitary sewer system should be reported to the City as soon as possible. Even if you are not sure, please call! Department personnel are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. During regular business hours, call the Public Works Department (510) 420-3050. After hours, on weekends and holidays, call the Police Dispatch (510) 420-3000.

Keep Fats, Oils and Grease Out of the Sanitary Sewer

Cooking fats, oils and grease, if washed down the drain, can lead to sewage back-ups at home, your business or in the City's sewer pipes. To reduce grease-related problems at home and to locate residential cooking oil recycling locations, see EBMUDís Residential Pollution Prevention.

Private Sewer Laterals

What is a private sewer lateral?
A private sewer lateral (PSL) is the underground pipe that transports wastewater from a private home or businesses to the Cityís sanitary sewer main pipes. In Piedmont, private sewer laterals comprise approximately 50% of the entire sanitary sewer system. The maintenance of the entire private sewer lateral is the responsibility of the property owner.

What causes the need for a sewer lateral inspection?

  1. The sale of the property.
  2. Remodeling of the property totaling more the $100,000.
  3. Requesting change in the size of the water meter serving the property.
  4. A written notice from the City of Piedmont regarding discovered irregularities in the PSL.

Do I need a building permit to repair or replace my private sewer lateral?
Yes. As the current building code requires, anytime a private sewer lateral needs to be repaired or completely replaced, a building permit is required to be obtained. If you are only getting an EBMUD Verification Test, that also requires a building permit so we have a record of that test in our house files.

How is EBMUD involved in the process?
In addition to the code required inspections made by the City of Piedmont for any sewer work, EBMUD also requires their own inspectors to witness a Verification Test. EBMUD will charge a separate fee for their inspection. Your sewer contractor can arrange for both the City and the EBMUD inspections.

Where can I get additional information on this subject?

  1. City of Piedmont, Dept. of Public Works, (510) 420-3050
  2. EBMUD PSL Ordinance Website
  3. Piedmont Municipal Code, Chapter 17A


The city maintains over 7,000 trees on 85 streets throughout the city and has a regular program to plant, trim and replace these trees. It is illegal to spray, prune, top or trim the city's trees and violators will be cited. If you believe that a city street tree needs immediate attention, call (510) 420-3050.


Republic Services Inc. is the city's provider of garbage, green waste and recycling services, including e-waste. You are encouraged to call the franchisee directly at 800-320-8077 to report missed pick-ups, noise problems or special needs. If you do not feel that your needs have been adequately met, call the city at (510) 420-3050.

Storm Sewer System

The Federal Clean Water Act and 1987 Amendment required that Piedmont take steps to improve its storm drain system and minimize the effect of pollutants which wash from the city streets into city storms drains and then into Lake Merritt and San Francisco Bay. Dumping chemicals, paint, dirt or debris into the storm drains is prohibited by law. For more information, call the city at (510) 420-3050 or visit the Alameda Countywide Cleanwater Program's website at

Your Measure B and VRF Money At Work

Measure B, a tax approved by Alameda County voters in November 2000, provides programmatic pass-through funds for bicycle and pedestrian safety improvements, Alameda County bridges and local streets and roads. In Piedmont, Measure B funds are used for annual street resurfacing projects and bicycle and pedestrian projects, such as Piedmont's project on Grand Avenue. For more information on countywide transportation improvements, visit the Alameda County Transportation Commission website at

For more information on Alameda County VRF fees, please see


Professional engineering services have been provided by contract since 1984. Contractors provide expertise in a variety of engineering services (city engineering, planning services, traffic engineering services, capital projects, etc.) for the City’s operation as well as acting in the capacity of City Engineer.