Piedmont City Clerk

General Information

The City Clerk is the public’s liaison with the City Council and the primary source for public information in the City of Piedmont. The department prides itself on providing a wide range of information including official minutes of government meetings, the current version of the Municipal Code, town history and photographs, agendas for all public meetings and other public records.


The City of Piedmont holds regular municipal elections on the first Tuesday of November in even numbered years. Members of the City Council are elected at large (the city is not divided into individual districts) for four-year terms and are eligible for a maximum of two terms. Piedmont’s mayor is selected by the members of the City Council.

Voter registration for Piedmont is handled by the Alameda County Registrar of Voters although forms are provided at a variety of City offices. The city contracts with the county registrar’s office for conduct of elections, but the City Clerk assists candidates in filing election forms and is the official recipient of election reporting forms required by the Fair Political Practices Commission.

Commissions & Committees

Piedmont has for many years been known as “the city of volunteers”. Many residents offer their services to the city as unpaid members of a city commission or committee. In February of each year the City Clerk posts a list of vacancies for commissions and standing committees in the city. The City Council interviews and appoints new members in March for three-year terms. Appointees are eligible for no more than two consecutive terms.

Ad hoc or special committees are created from time to time by the City Council and serve until the completion of their specific charge. Vacancies for these committees are listed as they occur.

The Notice of Appointive Vacancies provides up-to-date information regarding opportunities for service and the required Application for Appointive Vacancy can be downloaded, completed and returned to

City Clerk
City of Piedmont
120 Vista Avenue
Piedmont, CA 94611

Business Licenses

All businesses operating in the City of Piedmont are required to pay a business license tax, including home based businesses, businesses operating in commercial zones of the city, contractors working on a building project, and owners of rental property (see Real Estate Rental Tax below). The city levies a gross receipts tax (with a specified minimum) and the current rates are contained in Chapter 10 of the municipal code.

Home Occupation Permits

Residents are permitted to operate a business from home so long as the business does not “adversely affect the residential character of the neighborhood”. Please read this brochure for information on Home Occupation Permit requirements. The City's regulations regarding working from your home are contained in Division 17.44 of Chapter 17 of the City Code. All home based businesses are also required to have a city business license.

After reading this information, you may wish to download a Home Occupation Permit (HOP) application. The current one-time fee for an HOP permit is $100 and the permit is valid for the life of the business.

Real Estate Rental Tax

If you own property in the City of Piedmont and receive payment for renting or leasing any or all of your residential or commerical property to another person, you must pay an annual rental tax to the City. This tax is due if you rented or leased your property for any period of time during a given calendar year. Tax Payments are collected the year after you receive the income and are due on February 15th of each year. Late payment penalties are assessed on all payments postmarked after March 1st.

To start the rental process, it is required that you notify the City Clerk's Office of your intent to rent. An Intent to Rent letter needs to be completed and turned in to the City Clerk's office for processing. If your tenant intends to register their children to attend Piedmont schools, a copy of this processed letter may be required by the Piedmont Unified School District. More information is available in Chapter 10 of the City Code about the rental tax rate (Sec. 10.7.2) and the penalties for late payment (Sec. 10.9).

What forms do you need?

To conduct business from your home: Home Occupation Permit | Business License
To conduct business from a commercial location: Conditional Use Permit | Business License
To work in Piedmont when your office is elsewhere: Business License
To rent or lease property you own in Piedmont: Intent to Rent Letter | Rental Tax

Information regarding Conditional Use Permits for commercial businesses is provided by the city planning staff at 420-3050.

Completed Business License, Home Occupation Permit, Intent to Rent letters, and Rental Tax forms can be downloaded, completed, signed and submitted to:

City Clerk
City of Piedmont
120 Vista Avenue
Piedmont, CA 94611

For further information or to receive forms by mail, contact the City Clerk’s office at (510) 420-3040.

Statement of Economic Interest

The Political Reform Act (Government Code Sections 81000-94014) requires public officials to disclose assets and income which may be materially affected by their official actions by filing Statements of Economic Interests (Form 700s). Members of the City Council are elected officers identified in Government Code Section 87200 and file Form 700s with the City Clerk.

Copies of the original Form 700s filed by the members of the City Council are available for review or duplication at the following offices:

The information above is posted pursuant to Government Code Section 87505. For more information, please contact the City Clerk's office at (510) 420-3040.

Form 806 - Agency Report of Public Official Appointments

She California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) requires cities to post a single Form 806, which reports additional compensation that officials receive when appointing themselves to positions on other committees, boards or commissions of a public agency, special districts, and joint power agencies/authorities. Each agency must post a single Form 806 listing all paid appointed positions including the date appointed, length of term, and stipend amount. Please click here to view the City's Form 806.

Information Technology Enterprise Systems Catalog

On October 11, 2015, the Governor signed into law SB 272, which added Section 6270.5 to the Government Code. The section requires local agencies, including the City of Piedmont, to create a catalog of enterprise systems used by the local agency and post the catalog on its web site. The section defines enterprise systems and provides for certain exemptions from inclusion in the catalog.

Click to read the City's Catalog of Enterprise Systems

Rev. 06/16